Self consumption units —
Use your own electricity!

Learn more Contact

Self consumption

In order to simplify the prevailing legal norms regarding grid injection (Mini and Micro production), the 2014 legislation on distributed energy generation seeks to guarantee, that the size of future installations is adapted to the local consumption needs, thus avoiding the oversizing of central generation.
The legislation on distributed energy generation foresees two type of production units: Production Units for Self-consumption (UPAC) and Small Grid Feed-In (UPP).

What are Production Units for Self-consumption (UPAC) and how do they work?

A UPAC from renewable or non-renewable sources produces energy and preferably injects it into the consumption installation. Any instantaneously produced energy excess may be injected into the public electric power service grid (RESP). The goal of Self-consumption is to adjust the production capability to the local consumption regime and reduce the amount of energy injected into the RESP. The supplied power of the UPAC must be lower or equal than the contracted power at the consumption installation.

Take a look at the self consumption kits assembled by FFSolar of 250 W to 1500 W power, to ease your choice.

Our costumers frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

1. Who can be a grid connected UPAC owner?

Any natural or legal person, as well as condominiums of horizontally organized buildings, which have an electricity purchase agreement with a seller.

2. Where can I install the UPAC?

The UPAC will be installed in the same place of the utilization of use.

3. What is the maximum power that I can install?

The connection power will be less than or equal to 100% of the contracted power in the consumption installation. The installed power must not be more than twice the connection power.

4. Are there other conditions for access to the production activity for self-consumption?

A mere prior communication should be made to the Production Unit Registration Electronic System (SERUP) if the installed power exceeds 200 W and is less than or equal to 1.5 kW, connected to the grid, or to an UPAC without any connection to the grid. In case you want to sell the energy not consumed to the grid, a prior registration must be made in SERUP and a certificate of operation must be obtained, regardless of the installed power. Also in case the UPAC is not connected to the grid and intends to transact guarantees of origin.

5. Can I use more than one source of renewable energy?

Yes. In each UPAC you can explore more than one source of renewable energy from the respective production technologies. For instance, photovoltaic panels and wind generators.

6. How can I make the prior registration and obtain the certificate of exploration of the UPAC?

You can access the registration via SERUP. The service has been available since March 9, 2015. FF Solar communicates the UPAC of its clients. From the date of the automatic validation of the registration you have 10 working days to pay the registration fee according to the UPAC installed power:
With grid injection:
I - With installed power up to 1.5 kW: 30€ + VAT
II - With installed power from 1.5 kW to 5 kW: 100€ + VAT
III - With installed power from 5 kW to 100 kW: 250€ + VAT
IV - With installed power from 100 kW to 250 kW: 500€ + VAT
V - With installed power from 250 kW to 1 MW: 750€ + VAT
Without grid injection:
I - With installed power up to 1.5 kW: exempted
II - With installed power from 1,5 kW to 5 kW: 70€ + VAT
III - With installed power from 5 kW to 100 kW: 175€ + VAT
IV - With installed power from 100 kW to 250 kW: 300€ + VAT
V - With installed power from 250 kW to 1 MW: 500€ + VAT
For category BB installations with connection of the installation of consumption and its counter in low tension has 8 months counted from the date of acceptance of the registration to request the inspection of the UPAC or 12 months for the other installations. The inspection is carried out within a maximum period of 10 days after the submission of the respective application. After the assent of the inspection and the issuance of the exploration license, the producer and the last resort supplier (CUR) are immediately notified through SERUP for completion of the purchase and sale of electricity contract. The producer adheres to the contract of purchase and sale of electricity, within a maximum of 5 days. Afterwards, CUR informs SERUP of the conclusion of the purchase and sale contract, within 10 days. After the communication of conclusion of the purchase contract, SERUP warns the network operator (ORD) to connect the UPAC to the grid. The UPAC connection must be made within 10 days of the SERUP notice.
FF Solar will provide all the necessary information to its customers throughout the process.

7. Is the UPAC subject to periodic inspection and how much is the fee?

It depends on the power and connection to the grid. UPACs with installed power above 1.5 kW or with power supply to the grid are subject to periodic inspections every 10 years (see paragraph 1 of Article 39 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014). The value of the fee is 20% of the rate applicable to the respective registration (see no. 1 of Article 37 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014).

8. Can I consume my electricity and sell the surplus?

Yes. All production is consumed preferably in the consumption facility. All energy not consumed can be sold to the CUR (see no. 1 of Article 2 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014). Whenever the energy coming from a UPAC originates from a renewable energy source, the installed capacity in this unit does not exceed 1 MW and the installation of use is linked to the grid, the producer can sign a contract of sale with the CUR, for the electricity produced and not consumed.

9. What is the rate of sale of energy not consumed?

The amount of electricity supplied to the RESP by the UPAC is calculated according to the following expression:

RUPAC, m = Esupplied, m × OMIEm × 0.9 €/kWh

RUPAC,m is the remuneration of electricity supplied to the grid in month "m", in €;
Esupplied, m is the energy supplied in month "m", in kWh;
OMIEm is the value resulting from the simple arithmetic average of the closing prices of the Iberian Energy Market Operator (OMIE) for Portugal (daily market), for month "m", in €/kWh;
m is the month to which the electricity count supplied to the grid refers (see Article 24 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014).

10. Is there an annual quota of allocated power?

No. The annual power quota is only applicable to Small Grid Feed-In Units (UPP).

11. How will my energy output be counted?

It shall be made by means of a production counter independent of the consumption meter or by means of a single bidirectional meter. In the case of low- or medium-voltage electricity customers with low voltage counting, the production counter can be installed at low voltage. For medium voltage customers with counting in medium voltage, the production counter must be installed in medium voltage (see Article 22 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014).

12. How will the compensation be made?

Billing is handled by the last resort supplier (CUR), in accordance with paragraph 11 of Article 36 of the VAT Code, without written agreement of the producer, and in the case of individuals who do not have proper accounting. Payment is made directly to the producer, by bank transfer, with monthly or higher frequency (see Article 26 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014).

13. What is the duration of the sale contract?

The contract may have a maximum of 10 years, renewable for periods of 5 years (see Article 23 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014).

14. As a producer can I do my own installation?

No. The installation of the UP, regardless of the power to be installed, must be carried out by an entity that installs private electrical installations or technicians responsible for the execution of electrical installations (see no. 1 of Article 9 of Decree-Law no. 153/2014).

Approval process

All the individual steps of the approval process are shown here in a simple and clear format.

Process overview

Comparison UPAC / UPP

Learn the basic differences between Self-Consumption and Small Grid Feeding in a summary comparison.



Read the new law DL n º 153/2014 of 20/10/2014 on distributed energy generation. (Portuguese)

Legal text

Ask for a quote!

Ask for a quote!

Whether at home or in the business, become an electricity producer and generate your own clean energy with a Self Consumption system. By filling the Self Consumption form, you can contact and send us the relevant data for a non-binding offer easily and conveniently. Of course, you can also use our other contact options. We will gladly advise you personally.

Go to the form